It’s that time of year again, The Makeup Show NYC 2018 is here, and as a veteran of this show (11 years and counting) Here are some of the most important things you need to know to get the most out of this show. As a pro makeup artist, one of the most important things you can do before entering the show is one knowing all the brands that will be at the show. I’ll list a few here boy are they exclusive.
And there is more brands and yes honey I know I didn’t help the situation of trying to save your coins in the least bit, but the more you know the better you can plan to shop. 1. First things first go through your current makeup kit as well as stash and think about all the times you’ve been at a shoot, film, or with a client and what you wish you had. 2. Get rid of anything you’re not using, or has since expired. 3. Now make your need list and than create your wish list. 4. Now create a budget and here is how you’re going to stick to it…. Leave your cards at home! No I’m not playing remove cash based on the budget you’ve set for yourself and stick to it. This will keep you from making any impulse buys and you’ll stay on track. 5. Take advantage of all the education, seminars, and talks that will be taking place. Seriously besides the amazing brands are the artists who have been killing the game who put life aside for two days to share their wealth of information with us. Here are some that you should definitely check out.
- Bobbi Brown, Making Your Mark: Bobbi will share stories and experiences from her iconic career and inspire to find authenticity in our own artistry to make our own mark.
- Miss Fame, Beauty Mark: Making an Impact on Artistry: Join Miss Fame (Kurtis Dam-Mikkelsen) as he shares the story of what led him into the world of modeling and makeup. He will demonstrate his impeccable skills and secrets that go into his internationally recognized makeup applications. Watch as this master performs his work and witness the art of transformation.
- Timothy Hung, Artistry in Action: Timothy will showcase the visual components of color, form, line, shape, texture and value to take you from fundamentals to the fantastical. Watch and experience how an artist can use color and texture to elevate an application and showcase how two-dimensional ideas are adapted to three dimensional in an application.
- Hung Vanngo, Signature Style: Hung talks about his career and shares some thoughts on what you can do in your own career to make your mark. He will show you an application and bring you through the decision-making and product selection process.
- Moshoodat Sanni, Beyond Beauty: Moshoodat will share her story, her unique style, and her ability to use her influence to characterize her artistic talent to inspire artists to go beyond just being ordinary. She will talk about finding your muse, and discuss the importance of diversity and inclusivity in the industry.
- Roshar, Artistry and Innovation: Roshar will share his story, tell his secrets and show attendees one of his unforgettable makeups he has become known for.
- Jordan Liberty, Image and Influence: Jordan will discuss the importance of social media, share his advice on creating and capturing unforgettable images, and offer advice for those looking to take their career to the next level.
- An Artist Conversation with James Vincent, Kevin James Bennett, Jon Henessey, Sarah Lucero, Nicky Posley, and Kerri Blair: Join the panel of industry insiders as they discuss the effect of social media and the different options available to artist’s and offer opinion and advice on everything from rates, bookings, creating beauty, having a career with integrity and the important relationship between art and influence.
These are only a taste of all that will be taking place at The Makeup Show. Here are two more tips for you all who are coming. 6. Business cards yes they are still a thing and you should bring about 100 of them to network with other artists as well as brands who will be at the show. And last but not least 7. Bring a bag with wheels or a big backpack that you’ll be able to leave at coat check (make sure to save a few dollars to tip them because they are safeguarding your goodies). 8. Bring your resume and portfolio (If you have one) The Makeup Show will be hosting a career fair where you will get face-to-face interviews and career tips from experts, plus the opportunity to learn what potential employers are looking for in portfolios and resumes and to network with industry executives, decision-makers, and experts. The Career Fair will be held Monday, May 7th from 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM.
9. Have fun, talk to a lot of people, and network, network, network the makeup artist world is a small one. 10. Make sure to stop by The Powder Group booth one of the greatest communities you can be apart of and founder Michael DeVellis is a treasure trove of information nuggets that you need to feast on. Trust me it will be the best stop you will make at the show.